Saturday, December 5, 2009

Rest in Peace, Sam Haskins

.
I just found out yesterday that South African-born photographer Sam Haskins died last week. I first learned about Haskins from Greg Foley, the design director at Visionaire when I worked there, and I have been a big fan ever since. His older books are not easy to find but worth the effort to track down, and a new book, Fashion Etcetera, was recently published, collecting much of his most iconic work.

Here are a few of my favorite images from his 1962 book Five Girls.

There were a number of good pieces on Sam Haskins when the new book was published this fall. Click here for a video and article by Horacio Silva at the New York Times; view a photo essay at The New Yorker; and go to CNN to watch an interview/gallery tour with Sam. He is greatly missed.

See also: haskins.com and samhaskinsblog.com

No comments: