Thursday, November 5, 2009

We Built This To Leave

.
Today is first Thursday, and I'll leave it to/the/experts to provide surveys of what's going up in galleries around Seattle tonight – other than to say that I'm really looking forward to seeing the new show at Vermillion.

Ryan Mollenkamp The Flood – reminds me of the Skagit Valley

Last November I posted about Ryan Mollenkamp's show there, and he returns this November in a group show with Sharon Arnold and Trevor Johnson. I don't know if the three artists were responding to each other's work, but the way it all goes together is really amazing.

Trevor Johnson Cloud Carving

Something about Vermillion feels temporary to me – maybe because it seems like the gallery is always experimenting, changing its shows up a lot, not necessarily with a consistent point of view, as far as I can tell. But it is consistently good, or at the very least worth visiting. It helps that they have beer and a really delicious small menu in the back room, but I always leave Vermillion feeling inspired.

Sharon Arnold BPM (detail)

The opening party is tomorrow night – more info at Vermillion's website, and more photos at their Flickr pool.

No comments: