Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Girl Stella

Anyone who has ever had a conversation with me about fashion is also likely to know that I am a huge fan of Stella McCartney, and I've been anxiously awaiting her show since Paris Fashion Week began last week. Although there were some elements that I wasn't crazy about (too much lace for my taste, for one), I thought it was a strong collection, and the good parts (coats, pants, jackets, and some great dresses) appear to be Stella through and through – simple lines that are simultaneously strong and relaxed, and an uncomplicated use of fabrics that telegraphs the stylish life pared down to its essentials. Stella doesn't consistently try to push her way into uncharted waters the way some designers do – notwithstanding that I'd pin the current jumpsuit craze squarely on her shoulders – but to me even the established trends often look better on her runway. She manages to inject an indefinable freshness that makes her clothes look just a little ahead of the curve. Maybe it's in the genes. Some highlights below (click to enlarge and see the whole show at style.com):


No comments: