Friday, August 22, 2008

All the Fun We've Had

The New York Times is reporting that Pervis Jackson, of the Spinners, has died at the age of 70. Jackson (pictured above at top right), who was born in New Orleans, is survived by his wife Claudreen, who he married in 1968, and four children.

The Spinners, who were based in Detroit, had a bunch of hits ("Could It Be I'm Falling In Love," "Working My Way Back To You," "Then Came You," "I'll Be Around," "It's a Shame" – the list goes on) and it's tough to pick a favorite. Here's a lesser-known album cut from the Spinners/8 album, recorded in Seattle and released in 1978. The group was in turmoil right then and not charting the way they were used to, but I really like that record, and particularly this introspective song.

The Spinners I'm Tired of Giving mp3

And for good measure, here's a clip of the group doing "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love" on Top of the Pops, 1977.

No comments: