Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Listen Everybody

.
This is one of my better finds in the beautiful, underrated state of Idaho. The panhandle is not exactly a hotbed of soul and jazz records, but this record leads me to believe they have the religious hippie psyche market on lock.


From everything I've been able to find out, the members of The Last Call of Shiloh were part of the back-to-the-land movement of the '60s and '70s, which had hippies from California moving north in droves to farm organically and live in harmony with their adopted natural surroundings. A lot of the people who did this were Christians, and apparently some of them were pretty good at playing bass and hitting their drums real real hard. The band produced 250 copies of the record with this pencil-drawing cover. I have heard that another 250 with no cover were distributed by members of the band in later years.


When I came across it in the Moscow Goodwill there was something about the JC-emblazoned Fender amp on the back that said "buy me, I'm freaky." I shelled out my fifty cents and was not disappointed when I got back to Brooklyn and gave it a listen.

The Last Call of Shiloh Great Day of the Lord MP3

No comments: