Monday, December 19, 2011

Image of the Day

.
Well, images.
Jason Middlebrook, Imposing Forces, 2011.
(Acrylic on maple plank.)

Jason Middlebrook, Once again a version of nature through my eyes
(detail), 2011. (Acrylic on beech wood plank.)


Jason Middlebrook, Vertical Landscape Painting, 2011.
(Acrylic on black walnut plank.)


Jason Middlebrook, Black and White Number 2, 2011 (detail).
(Acrylic on wood plank.)


[Photos by Karen Pearson.]


All at Dodge Gallery, NYC, as part of Middlebrook's show "A Break from Content" (one of my favorites of the many I saw last weekend). I really like the conversation between nature and culture that is going on - the way the superimposed abstractions complement and contrast with the organic lines of the cross-sectioned wood. Something about it struck me as very Northwest. (A side point, but I also feel compelled to mention for some reason that Kristen Dodge, with whom I had an enjoyable chat, also happened to be the most beautiful and stylish woman I encountered on the trip.) More info about the show, which runs through Dec. 23, is at dodge-gallery.com.

No comments: