Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Vampyros

.
Balenciaga Pre-Fall 2011

New York fashion week starts later this week but before we get to that, here are pics from another pre-Fall collection that caught my eye – the boldness of the clothes but more than that, the unusual art direction of the photos.

There's something about them that seems like war-ravaged '60s/'70s Eastern Block – living in a government-built apartment, the promise of modernism but crumbling infrastructure – wallpapering over the wall to hide the water damage – looking to traditional patterns and motifs for comfort. And also because you can't afford new clothes. (In the Northwest the German Shepherd sweater might be an old Oly sweater.)

I'm sure that just sounds like nonsense, I don't think I can explain what I'm thinking.

It's kind of like Let the Right One In, early garage music, hand-me-down warm coat from your sister, vodka and pills....
Or maybe it's more like besieged Hungarian aristocracy or something.
I don't know.

Here, watch this:




More pre-Fall stuff in Emily's original pre-Fall round-up.

...
Update: duh, she already posted some Balenciaga pics. Damn, I gotta get my head back in the game. Oh well.

1 comment:

laura said...

you totally explained it hammer-on-nail style, bro. totes agreement. gaaaaaawddd i wanna go to romania !