Saturday, July 10, 2010

Image of the Day

. One of eight pieces in a series by Tauba Auerbach at Western Bridge, Seattle. Emily and I had the great pleasure of seeing her work at Deitch Projects last year and I was glad to catch her contribution to Western Bridge's New Year series before it closed. Here's what she had to say about it:
I took a piece of paper and folded it into ninths, lit it from the side and took a photo. I printed that photo out in a monochromatic palette, and then folded the print in a different way than I had folded the first piece of paper. That created piece number one. Then I took a photo of piece number one and printed it in another monochromatic palette, and then folded that print differently yet again. This made piece number two. I did this eight times. As the series progresses, the grids of fold lines pile up, and make a complicated network of topologies that could not physically coexist. In each piece, there are real folds competing with “fake” printed ones.

For the last year or so I’ve been working on creating objects/paintings of ambiguous dimension. I suppose some of this is motivated by a far-fetched hope that if I can merge the states of 2D and 3D, or at least create a smooth transition between them, i.e. remove the boundary, that I will somehow be able to remove the boundary between this 3 (+ 1)D reality and other spacial dimensions. So far, this work has taken a 2D form, with a record of a past 3D state, or sometimes multiple past states contained within it. This is the first time I’m presenting something in service of this agenda that is not flat.

The set of real folds in the last piece is the same as the set of printed folds in the first piece, bending this linear sequence towards being a circle.

Next up (and last) in the New Year series at Western Bridge are Eli Hansen and Oscar Tuazon (July 15–24). Info at westernbridge.org.

[thanks to Jen Graves at SLOG for the recommendation]

No comments: