Friday, May 14, 2010

You Can't Take It With You

.

Photos by Massimo Vitali [click to enlarge]

Apropos of a conversation I had last night, I love these photos of Yves Saint Laurent's bookshelves in the Paris apartment he shared with Pierre Bergé. (They were part of a story last year in the New York Times Magazine about Bergé's decision to auction off the treasures – art, furniture and other items – collected by Bergé and Saint Laurent during their many years together.)

Looking at these makes me feel better about lugging our own books and other things across the country ... twice. Material possessions are obviously far from the most important things in life. They weigh you down, and most will just go "back into the slipstream" when our time's up. Sometimes I think we'd be better off if we simplified more. But the things we've chosen to surround ourselves with also make me happy. I'm guessing Yves felt the same way.

If you missed it, or want to review, the article and an accompanying slideshow can be found here.

No comments: