Thursday, October 15, 2009

Image of the Day

.
The Reindeer Yasha, 1941, by Ukrainian WWII photographer Yevgeny Khaldei (1917–1997).

I got a postcard with this image on it when we were in Rotterdam several years ago and I look at it all the time. (Rotterdam: coolest city ever. Maybe more on that later.)

Yevgeny Khaldei was obsessed with photography from a very young age, inspired by a picture he saw in a magazine. He made his first camera out of a cardboard box and his dead grandmother's glasses.

In a 1995 interview with The New York Times, Khaldei said that "I have just always wanted people to know what really happened in their time. I would have to say that many times my heart was broken. But I also witnessed greatness."

[That being said, Khaldei actually composited three different photographs to make the image above. Probably none of the images on their own (the reindeer, foreground and background; the exploding bomb; the airplanes) would have captured the feeling of being right there, but combined, I think they do achieve the goal and emotions Khaldei discusses in that quote.]

2 comments:

Valéry Lorenzo said...

It's a kind of Shamanistic image...
Best regards

Valéry Lorenzo said...

I come back to this picture because it's so incredible !
Khaldei is not enough known.
Thank you again