Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Oh Canada

.
When I was a youngster I used to send away for packages of stamps through ads in the back of comic books. I always thought this one was kind of funny, like it was the United States' self-centered view of Canada, looking north at a land of vast natural resources.

Emily in Jacques Cartier National Park, Quebec

Anyway, today is Canada Day so I just wanted to acknowledge that I love Canada and its people. Emily and I road-tripped through Alberta and British Columbia for our honeymoon and took several trips up north while we were on the East Coast (Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec). I'm looking forward to visiting again some time soon, especially Eastern B.C., which is so beautiful it doesn't seem real – it seems like you're driving through a trainset or diorama.

Emily on the beach at Prince Edward Island, with the bridge to New Brunswick in the background. The sand on Prince Edward Island is red and the water is surprisingly warm in the summer.

In this morning's New York Times, notable Canadian expats share what they miss most about home. Click here to check it out.

No comments: