Wednesday, March 4, 2009

In London Town

Looking at the slides from the London shows as they came online, I wasn’t super excited. But going back over my picks, I’ve completely changed my opinion. I loved the casual, sometimes messy styling in combination with the strong futuristic vibe at a lot of the shows. And as much as I liked the runways in New York, replete with chic, classic pieces done freshly and well, there was a newness and edginess going on across the pond that really resonates with me at the moment. Overall the London collections may have been less polished and more inconsistent, but it seemed like designers were taking more risks – which I guess makes sense for a fashion week that's known for launching the careers of young designers who have gone on to push fashion boundaries as established insiders. Anyway, it’s even more academic this year than usual because I’ve resolved to do much more shopping in my closet for Fall, but I have a feeling that I may be looking at what's there a little differently this year. Here are some highlights from the week (click to enlarge):

Christopher Kane

Giles Deacon

Issa

Jaeger

Josh Goot

Julien Macdonald

Louise Goldin, Danielle Scutt

Mary Katrantzou, Roksanda Ilincic

Meadham Kirchhoff

Paul Smith Women, Marios Schwab

Vivienne Westwood Red Label

No comments: