Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Family Affair, Part Two

I'm starting to feel kind of uncreative compared to the rest of my family.

My stepmom Sybil Barney has an opening tonight in Seattle at Whimsy (5–9pm, 1535 14th Avenue at Pine). The layers upon layers in her abstractions are mesmerizing, reflecting (at least to me) the power of the water that is an ever present force in the PNW. (On that note, sorry about the weather there, but I would still probably trade our current 100º+humidity for some classic high overcast).

Looking to the Light (pictured above) and several other paintings will be up through June 20th.

Second, my dad has a major feature in the new issue of Fine WoodWorking, with expanded features on their website, mostly discussing the Biedermeier-style cabinet he made for the mystery novelist John Saul.

My dad has been making furniture for longer than I've been around and it's great to see him getting some much deserved press in recent years from the likes of Architectural Digest, Architectural Record, The Seattle Times and others. See more of his work at joelshepardfurniture.com.

Photography and stellar PR by Rebecca Nelson

No comments: