Monday, June 1, 2009

I just want to do a good job.

.
As some friends of Pacific Standard are aware, I left NYC last fall planning to put my career as a practicing attorney behind me. I love the law, but being a litigator is a grueling and stressful profession, and one that doesn't lend itself very well to family or sustained outside interests (or weekends off, for that matter).

When we got to Seattle I applied to the graduate program in library science at the University of Washington with the idea that becoming a law librarian would let me keep some of the aspects of being a lawyer that I love, but also let me have a life. It's a tough program to get into, so I wasn't holding my breath, but I'm thrilled that the school saw fit to accept me. I'll be starting classes at the end of September.

Honestly, I'm super nerdy and have secretly wanted to be a librarian for a long time...I think that ever since seeing Party Girl in the spring of 1995 I've been subconsciously trying to figure out how to make it happen. For anyone out there who hasn't seen this movie, add it to the Netflix queue immediately – you won't be sorry, I promise. It's a classic.



Thanks, Parker, for giving a girl a reason to dream.

More Party Girl clips here.

5 comments:

Michelle Cohen said...

I love Party Girl! Even have the soundtrack..... Here is to hot men who sell fallafel!

Quinn said...

I love the personal posts from the Great Emily. More!

Anonymous said...

you are so much cooler than parker can ever be. best of luck, darling.

JMW said...

Congrats, Emily!! That's terrific news. (And not a surprise at all that they would want you in the program...Superstar.)

cj barney said...

Em,...that's fantastic news! Congrats! So before school starts, you & Strath will have to come down for a visit, sound good? Again, I'm so excited for you. -Chris