Monday, June 1, 2009

Ama Ama Oyster Bar review

.
Oysters are a destination food – savory little things that I find myself searching out every so often. Paired with some sparkly or white mineral wine as a way to start off a meal or start off a night, it takes so little to satisfy so much. I had heard good things about Ama Ama and decided to take a trip to West Seattle to learn more. After a few hours of wandering beautiful Lincoln Park we arrived at Ama Ama and settled in at the bar. Okay: the interior setup is overly styled in mid-century modern. I find it to be a mistake when restaurateurs theme-out their restaurants in search of a brand beyond the food. I'll take good food from a taco truck or a man wandering the streets with a cooler full of empanadas any day over a tiki bar. Along with the waitstaff in all black (who cares?!) I was a bit bored by the atmosphere. Until the food arrived. Four types of northwest oysters arrived in our dozen, along with a surprising and good variation of mignonette with ginger and yuzu sauce. After the oysters we went with some small plates: the Jerusalem artichoke bisque had big chunks of Dungeness crab in it, along with asparagus, chives and thyme. The lamb belly, the take on eggs benedict with duck eggs, morels, brioche and hollandaise, and the mussels baked in a paprika rub with lemon and harissa butter sauce all presented a wide variety of local foods and tasty, balanced combinations. Worth the trip, and worth a trip back to explore the other ends of the menu, which I imagine change with the seasonal offerings.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Me too - I think overly themed restaurants can detract. Next time youre in DC we should go to Hanks Oyster Bar just a block away - I'd like an excuse to go.