Friday, February 12, 2010

Click to Enlarge

.Emily and I have both been working weekends for the past month so we haven't had a chance to do much, either in or out of town. I kind of miss posting more personal adventure photos... with Spring on the way and the Jeep undergoing some much-needed tune-ups as I type, I'm hoping we can take a little roadtrip soon. In the mean time, here are some pics from our last mini-vacation, to Port Townsend, the first weekend of January. I can't believe this was already a month ago... the new year has been a blur.

Before the railroad, Port Townsend was the most important city in Washington, because of its access to Pacific Ocean shipping lines through the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Then Tacoma seemed likely to take over, being the logical terminus for the railroad – but it ended up in Seattle, and the rest is history.

A lot of Port Townsend's old buildings are preserved and it's a cool city to walk around.

We weren't there for long, we just hit a couple antique stores and had some oysters (maybe the best I've ever had, actually – from Quilcene, which is just down Hood Canal) and ales from the local brewery before heading across to Whidbey Island on the ferry to spend the night.

I have always liked Port Townsend and I'm glad to know it's still there.

No comments: