Thursday, April 16, 2009

Western Eyes

Robert Adams: Clearcut, Humbug Mountain, Clatsop County, Oregon, 1999–2001

Astoria, Oregon-based photographer Robert Adams has been awarded the 2009 Hasselblad Foundation International Award in Photography, being cited by the foundation as "one of the most important and influential photographers of the last forty years."

Robert Adams: Colorado Springs, Colorado, 1968

Past winners include fellow Northwest natives Lee Friedlander and Jeff Wall, Nan Goldin, Bernd & Hilla Becher, William Eggleston, Malick Sidibé, Robert Frank, Richard Avedon, Henri Cartier-Bresson – the list is long and varied and includes almost as many photographers I don't know as ones I do, but judging by the company they're in, I'm looking forward to researching them.

Robert Adams: Untitled, from What We Bought: The New World, 1974

More Robert Adams at PBS and Matthew Marks Gallery.

2 comments:

Beazer said...

I love this photography. IT definitely evokes emotion. 1. It reminds me of my 1957 house. 2. It reminds me of growing up in the PNW. 3. I can't believe that the this entire area was clearcut at one point as it is in the first pic.

Susan Graham said...

This, along with the rest of your work is incredible. I found your site today whilst searching for traditional christmas decorations and I've enjoyed reading through all of your blogs. Your creations are very inspiring and impressive and I look forward to seeing what else you come up with! All the best wishes for you.