Thursday, February 26, 2009

Nature of the Experiment

Topping the list of places to see next time I'm in New York is the newly-opened Droog store on Greene Street between Spring and Broome. Founded in 1993, Droog is a gigantic, worldwide collective of highly conceptual designers whose self-stated mission with each project is to "tell a story about themes such as memories, nostalgia, re-use, craftsmanship and nature."

With all of that in mind, here are some of my favorite Droog works:

Milk Bottle Lamp by Tejo Remy. Stuff like this is everywhere now but when this came out it was something I hadn't seen before.

Do hit chair by Marijn van der Poll. Emily and I had the (very loud) pleasure of visiting the Droog studio in Amsterdam one time when they were banging away at this thing. The hammer comes with the metal box and you make your own chair design out of it.

Limited fungi shelf by Katharina Mischer. This reminds me a little of a series of hand-carved tables my dad made in the '80s with animals coming out of them:

(Click to enlarge)

Visit droogusa.com for more info.

Unrelated:
Tokyo Police Club
Nature of the Experiment mp3
From
Lesson in Crime

No comments: