Friday, August 15, 2008

A Pink Light, and the Coming of Dawn

My friend Christine is in Seattle right now and mentioned that the light on Mt. Rainier at sunrise was really beautiful yesterday. Something I will really miss about the East is that the humidity gives late afternoons a warm orange haze. Something I'm looking forward to in the Northwest is the pink glow that happens just before the sun comes up, like in the un-photoshopped photo above from my mom's driveway last fall.

Here's a good song about it:
Laura Veirs Pink Light mp3

We saw Laura Veirs play a really amazing, mostly-acoustic solo show at Union Hall earlier this year. One of the things I like about shows like that (including the recent spate of J. Ralph Phillips shows I've been talking about) is that they require the artist to make interesting decisions about how to fill up space, or leave it empty. Various looping devices make that even more interesting, allowing for some pretty complex layering and a deeper contrast between quiet and loud, or anticipation and fulfillment.

And, well, that's all I have to say about that.

Also, what gives? Two posts about weather in two days?
Am I getting old or something?

No comments: